We provide legal advice and representation to customers and suppliers of technology and telecommunications services. Some of our clients include software developers, smartphone application developers, internet services providers, distributors, wholesalers, resellers and retailers of technology, e-commerce businesses and radio communications solutions.
We act for a wide ranging client base that includes start-up tech companies, industry leaders and public companies listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
Technology and telecommunications providers face a unique set of legal obstacles. Our Sydney IT lawyers have experience in information technology, telecommunications, internet & intellectual property law,. We service clients in Sydney and around Australia. We live and breathe technology, and make it our mission to stay up to date on all issues facing the technology and telecommunications industries.
We have significant experience in the drafting and negotiation of software licences, customer agreements, support and maintenance agreements, technology services agreements, reseller and distribution agreements with both private sector and government organisations.
Our contracts are tailored to our clients’ specific requirements by an experienced Technology Lawyer and we strive to provide high quality services at cost effective rates.
We can assist with:
- Drafting customer contracts, employment agreements, website terms and conditions, privacy policies, cloud computing contracts, non-disclosure agreements, shareholders agreements and other important documents for your startup technology business;
- Negotiating small deals on your behalf with your customers and suppliers;
- Negotiating larger deals with large corporates, Government Departments and other significant institutions;
- Negotiating mergers and acquisitions of technology businesses;
- Acting on your behalf to litigate a dispute or resolve the dispute by way of settlement;
- Advising on the best way to procure a technology or telecommunications solution.
- Advising on regulatory matters pertaining to your technology business.
Our IT lawyers are known by our information technology and telecommunications clients for our professional service, passion for information and communication technologies (ICT) and our ability to find practical solutions and deliver clear and prompt advice in this evolving area of law. Our experience in information technology, telecommunications, internet & intellectual property law speaks for itself.
Examples of our work
Some of the matters we have worked on include the following:
Drafting and negotiating IT contracts:
- Acting for software developer in large scale licensing and development contract with foreign bank.
- Acting for cloud computing suppliers engaged in the negotiation of transactions with large corporate customers;
- Acting for a smartphone application developer in contract negotiations with a multi-national pharmaceutical company;
- Acting for a software distributor in distribution of high end software solution from multiple international vendors to large Federal Government Agency via GITC agreement and multiple software distribution agreements.
- Acting for a software developer in software licence, service and escrow negotiation with large courier and transport corporations.
- Acting for an international retailer in its implementation of a national enterprise resource planning (ERP) software solution and global MPLS telecommunications system rollout.
- Acting for new public company in wholesale transaction with telecommunications suppliers.
- Acting for large broadband satellite provider in development of reseller agreement and in large scale distribution transaction.
- Acting for rural internet service provider in negotiation of site licence agreements, reseller agreements, employment contracts, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, subcontractor agreements.
- Acting for electricity company in negotiation of IT service and support agreements with international service provider.
- Acting for internet service provider franchisee in negotiation of franchise agreement with franchisor.
- Acting for tripartite conglomerate in formation of new bandwidth supply venture with large telecommunications provider.
- Preparation of back-to-back subcontractor agreements.
- Assignment of intellectual property, novations, letters of intent and heads of agreements.
IT litigation and dispute resolution:
- Application on behalf of internet service provider to Supreme Court of New South Wales for ex parte urgent injunctive relief to prevent disconnection of thousands of end users.
- Warranty claim advice on refund for hundreds of defective routers.
- Resolution of complex and intense software licensing dispute.
- Successfully defending domain name dispute filed with the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) on behalf of a client energy company.
- Court proceedings over telecommunications service supply agreements fees.
- Representing director of insolvent company in insolvent trading allegations and in response to claims by creditors and in administration generally.
- Representing registrant against domain name registrars in Trade Practices Act dispute.
- Debt recovery actions and proceedings to recover telecommunications reseller fees.
- Advising internet service provider (ISP) wholesalers on disconnection of thousands of end users due to non-payment by resellers.
- Advising on trademark dispute for e-commerce provider over domain name, business name and company name.
E-commerce and website user agreements:
- Drafting of reverse auction website terms and conditions and privacy policies.
- Drafting of website user access agreements for review and opinion suite of 3 websites.
- Drafting of website terms and conditions for online e-commerce merchant websites.
- Acting for website developers in website development and hosting contract negotiation.
- Representing claimant in disputes over online advertising keywords, website defamation and misleading and deceptive conduct matters.
- Drafting website terms and conditions for advertising portals.
- Drafting website terms and conditions for events companies.
Our IT Lawyers can help with all technology, telecommunications, and IT related legal matters in Sydney and Australia.